This report presents the findings of the internal evaluation of Reporters Respond and the Legal Defense Fund, implemented by Free Press Unlimited and its local partners. The main goal of this evaluation was internal learning and examining areas where there is room for improvement. The time frame of this evaluation was 2018 and 2019. As part of the evaluation, nine interviews with the local partners were conducted), and four SurveyMonkey surveys were sent out. The surveys were sent out to beneficiaries of Reporters Respond and the Legal Defense Fund, either supported directly by Free Press Unlimited or by its local partners, Free Press Unlimited’s staff members, and Free Press Unlimited’s partner organisations.
The aim of the evaluation report was to answer the following evaluation questions:
- How valuable is Free Press Unlimited’s financial support to journalists and media organisations?
- How valuable is Free Press Unlimited’s non-financial support to journalists and media organisations?
- How efficient is cooperation with local partners in crisis areas?
- Why does Free Press Unlimited receive less requests from female journalists in comparison to male journalists?
- What explains the increase in applications for assistance?
- What are the brand awareness and reputation of Reporters Respond and the Legal Defense Fund?
- How satisfied are Free Press Unlimited’s local partners with the cooperation with Free Press Unlimited on emergency support and legal support?
- Do Reporters Respond and the Legal Defense Fund approach safety in a holistic way?
The evaluation report is available upon request.